Get Social to Get Found!Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Get Social to Get Found
One of the biggest changes we have seen over the past year is the way that Google is looking at your Social Media presence as it ranks your website. The harsh reality is that your website could be perfectly optimized for the key terms you want to rank well for, but if you are not doing social media, your competitors may be kicking your butt in the rankings.
Steps You Should Take Today
A great resource for you to read can be found on www.socialmetricspro.com. Search for “25 Social Signals Google is Tracking – Factors to Optimize for Higher Search Visibility”. This article guides you on how to leverage social media channels so Google takes notice! Some highlights from the article:
- Get on Google+ : This platform is weighed by Google whether you have many people in your circles or not. Google+ is weighing heavily the social signals from its own social network.
- Facebook Rules : The amount of fans, comments, shares, and likes may influence search rankings more than Google+ or Twitter
- Don’t Ignore Twitter : The number of followers, tweets, retweets and mentions will make a difference with this social media giant.
- Other Social Media : Don’t forget about Pinerest, Reddit, Digg, StumbleUpon and FourSquare. These all have the ability to help your rankings and Google is measuring signals from these channels.
Content is King
No one likes bad content, but Google eats up great content. Here are some take aways from the article about content:
- Focus On User Experience : Provide interesting and relevant content with relevant keywords
- Get Social : Engage your visitors by asking them to share your content, replying to their comments or Tweets, and organizing on-line events
- Build Connections : Associate with other people and websites who are leading authorities in your business field. Become the local expert and become part of an established social group.
One Bite at a Time
We all know the joke about how to eat an elephant. Start with one channel at a time, be consistent and provide top notch content to grow your fans/followers. Link back to your website when appropriate and don’t sell all the time. You will be amazed at how this can help your website move up in the rankings.
As always, give us a call if we can answer any of your questions on social media. We also can create and customize social media elements for you, and we offer a very affordable social media engagement package than can help your website soar!
Link to full Social Metrics Pro article - http://socialmetricspro.com/social-media/25-social-signals-google-tracking-factors-optimize-higher-search-visibility
Follow MSW Interactive DesignsTwitter: @PutTheWebToWork
Mike Waggett, MSW Interactive Designs LLC ~ We put the web to work for you!