Building An Effective Web Presence - Step 7 - Improve Your Website's Link PopularityThursday, August 11, 2011
Over the past six months we identified steps one through six in the process of building an effective web presence: 1) Define your ideal client; 2) Identify specific goals; 3) Create a call to action; 4) Give customers what they expect; 5) Be a better communicator; and 6) Get found.
Improve your website’s link popularity (this helps your organic search engine rankings).
The definition of link popularity is the number of links pointing to your site as indexed by a given search engine. This is not necessarily a complete count of ALL links to your site, but instead how many links the search engine gives the site credit for when calculating SERP (Search Engine Results Page) placement. These inbound links are also referred to as “citations.”
- Find out how many inbound links you have now. Go to Google.com and in the search box, enter “links: [your website address]”. For example, if you wanted to see how many links we have to the MSW Interactive Designs website, you would enter – “links:mswinteractivedesigns.com”. There are about 1700 inbound links to our website.
- Purchase online advertising from authority sites that includes a link to your website. Locally, you can do this with the Chamber, CVB, as well as several others. If you serve the wedding market, you can also get listed with a link on www.LakeOzarkWeddingGuide.com.
- Exchange links with other businesses in your network. A nice way to do this is to add a “Resources” page to your website and link to other businesses that you trust. In return, ask them to link back to your website from theirs.
- Avoid Link Farms and massive link exchange services. The links obtained from these sites and services tend be low quality and ignored by Google. Not sure if it’s a link farm or not? Use this test … ask yourself, “would I be doing this (linking there) if search engines didn't exist?"
- Request that those linking to you use keyword rich anchor text in the link. For example, we prefer when people link us they use “Website Design and Hosting” instead of “MSW Interactive Designs” as the actual words that are linked to our website.
MSW Interactive Designs LLC ~ We put the web to work for you!